Friday, June 22, 2012

The teeth are not always whiter on the other side...

Its that time again...back school (and yes it's the middle of June)

Although we only got six weeks off before returning for our second year, I couldn't have asked for a better break.  It was full of relaxing, family, friends and a trip that was an once-in-a-lifetime experience.

For two of my weeks off, I went to Nicaragua with two of my best friends from dental school and we volunteered in third world communities.  Talk about a humbling experience.  I have always known and been grateful for how fortunate and blessed I am with the life my parents have provided me, but this trip truly reinforced that perspective.


With this being a volunteer trip and not a vacation, our accommodations consisted of 6 bunk-beds to a room, cold showers, bottled water to brush our teeth and lots of rice of beans.  But this is was honestly 5 star compared to the communities we set up clinic in.  The homes we visited were built on dirt floors with tin roofs, no running water, latrines for restrooms and stray dogs galore, but they were filled with the smiles of welcoming families.  




It was incredible and eye opening to provide dental care to the members of these communities, most of which had never brushed their teeth, let alone visited a dentist.  With only two weeks, we were only able to treat a limited amount of patients, but attempted to have a greater impact on these communities through education of prevention techniques.  We were able to donate hundreds of tooth brushes and oral hygiene supplies to both the parents and children of the neighborhoods.  


The children we were able to spend time with, honestly melted my heart and I wanted to bring every single of them home with me.  Even with a language barrier, it is amazing how well you can connect with another human being and hopefully impact their lives as much as they impacted mine.  This trip only enhanced my passion for dentistry and opportunities this career will provide me to give back.



No comments:

Post a Comment